Often when I am low on ingredients, the most delicious creations are made. Out of a perceived lack comes an abundantly great meal.
I was in this predicament when I created one of our most cherished comfort meals; Creamy Potato Soup with Black Beans and Roasted Potatoes on top. Fast forward to about a week ago and I was down to sweet potatoes, black beans and garlic. Instantly the idea came to me - make the previous creamy potato soup but with sweet potatoes. The results? Creamy, savory, sweet potato soup with crisp sweet potatoes on top, a sprinkle of onions, red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan cheese. The first time I made it, I included black beans, fantastic! The second time, I didn't have beans prepared and was already half way through the video, so excluded them, either way is lick your bowl good. I hope you love this recipe! Watch the new video with a blooper in it, I had a tongue twist moment where I couldn't spit it out nor read my typo.... :) The recipe is also below.
This dinner is completely vegan made with plant based whole-foods from scratch, oil-free, and gluten-free.This creates a hearty satisfying soup and is a fun way to use sweet potatoes. My notes had 5 STARS!! Plus, sweet potatoes are full of fiber, are great for your heart, has vitamin B6, a rich source of vitamin A, C and E, manganese helping with blood sugar levels, treats anemia and also provides a great source of energy. Enjoy this healthy meal from my home to yours
With Love & Light in these trying times on our Mother Earth,
Makes 2-4 Bowls
• 1 ½ Cups Sweet Potatoes – Chunky Cubes
• ½ tsp Sea Salt
• ½ tsp Paprika
• ¼ tsp Black Pepper
• Opt dash of Cayenne
• 3 Cups Diced Sweet Potatoes
• 3 Cups Dairy Free Milk
• 2 Large Garlic Cloves - Minced/Diced Fine
• ½ Cup Diced Sweet Onion
• 1 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1/2 Cup Cashews, Soaked for 4 hours
• Protein Booster: 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Black Beans (1 can or homemade)
• Top with ½ cup chopped onions, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan which is nutritional yeast and cashews.
1. Soak ½ cup cashews in hot water.
2. Place 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes cut into chunky cubes in a small pot with salted water. Bring to a boil, and once you can pierce the sweet potato with a fork, turn off the stove, strain and transfer to a baking sheet that is lightly greased, lined with parchment or a non-stick mat.
3. Season with ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp paprika, and ¼ tsp black pepper plus a dash of cayenne if you please. Bake until crisp, 20-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the soup. Place 3 cups of diced sweet potatoes with 3 cups of dairy free milk in a large pot. Add 2 large cloves of garlic, freshly minced as well as ½ cup diced sweet onion. Add 1 ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally.
5. Drain the cashews and place in a blender with 2 cups of the soup. Blend until silky smooth. Pour that mixture back into the soup and mix well. At this point you can also add 1 ½ cups pre-cooked black beans.
6. Transfer to two to four bowls, top with the roasted sweet potatoes, a ½ cup chopped onions, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan which is primarily nutritional yeast and cashews.
Hi and thank you for stopping by! I love making recipes with food that is good for you, makes you feel great and tastes delicious. All are vegan, refined sugar free and most are free of gluten and oil.
Search Artistic Vegan
Current Reader Favorites
Artistic Vegan Cookbooks!
The man who lights my fire!