We started his big day with Sweet Potato Lattes and a Smoothie Bowl!
We enjoyed "cheese" and crackers on the trails and it was so special, what a treat for vegans. The recipe is featured in my new e-Book that you get upon subscribing!! :)
Makes 24 cookies
- 2 Cups Almond Meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1.25 cup sweet potato puree*
- 1/4 cup mashed banana for oil-free (or olive oil)
- 1.5 tsp Flax Meal
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup dates
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp agave syrup (or use a maple syrup or honey for vegetarian)
- 2 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- 2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a baking sheet with baking paper or lightly grease.
- Create the almond flour by blending raw almonds together until a fine powder is formed (or use a prepared almond flour).
- Place almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon and nutmeg into a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Mix the flax meal and warm water in a small bowl. Mix well to create a vegan egg substitute. Set aside to congeal. For non-vegans an egg could be used here.
- Combine the dates and warm water in a food processor, pulse until a chunky paste is formed. In the same container, add the flax mixture, vanilla and agave syrup. Pulse until mixed well.
- Incorporate the wet to dry until mixed well. Slowly add in the oats and raisins, folding until well combined.
- Take a big spoonful of batter, form into a nice sized ball and press into the shape of a cookie. (Wet hands help here!) Place on the prepared cookie sheet, I have a smaller pan so I filled 8 cookies per pan for 3 total batches. Cook each batch for 20 minutes. Use a spatula and place on a cooling rack or surface to cool and ENJOY! Oh my gosh these are SO great and deserve to be enjoyed by you and as many other people as possible!
*TIP: My favorite way to make sweet potatoes is to peel, cut and steam for about 20-25 minutes until soft and then proceed to blend in the blender or food processor until nice and creamy. Proceed to use or store in the fridge or freezer for future recipes.
To plant based living!