On Monday we made a flax meal pizza crust infused with herbs. I had leftover carrot mash from carrot juice and was unsure how to use it when I had a brilliant idea, to use it in the pizza as an oil replacement. I tried it and had glorious success. The idea was inspired from the baking gods and goddesses and I am thankful!
The dough was light, airy and easy to work with. I kneaded it with love so it would turn out very good for my husband. He had worked hard spreading his homemade compost around our new plants! I wanted to show my appreciation so I tried very hard to make this pizza to his liking!
Once kneaded I rolled the dough into a big plump ball that made my heart smile. It looked just right! I placed it on a pre-greased cookie sheet and pressed it into the shape of a pizza pie with a hearty crust. I baked the pizza for about 30 + minutes as I prepared homemade pizza sauce and toppings. My personal preference is to get the pizza crust brown around the edges and almost completely done to where the center pops back up vs. sinks. Then I add the sauce and toppings and bake for another 15 minutes give or take until done, slice and serve! I used to only bake it for 15 minutes but then had to bake the pizza for sometimes 40 + minutes waiting for the center to be done and not be soggy! This works for me and I hope it works for you!
This crust was dare I say almost perfect. It even formed a big bubble in the center as if it were from a pizza shop! There is no yeast, oil, sugar or refined flours here only really healthy ingredients so you can enjoy more than one slice and still feel great!
To make this delicious pizza pie you will need:
- 2 cups flax meal
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup carrot pulp (from carrot juice)
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash: Red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, basil, sage and pepper.
- Opt: I used a sprinkle of Trader Joe’s Dukkah Blend which is a mixture of almonds, sesame seeds, fennel seeds, coriander, anise seeds and salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a pan with olive oil (or line with parchment paper)
- Combine the flax meal and warm water in a large bowl, mix well. Add the balance of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Roll up your sleeves and begin working the dough, kneading for 1-2 minutes until completely worked together. I find getting my hands wet first and along the way helps.
- Roll the dough into a ball, place it in the center of your pan and begin to form your pizza. I like to leave a high edge for a thick crust!
- Bake for 30 minutes until it is almost completely done. While it is baking prepare your sauce and toppings.
- Pull it out of the oven, top with sauce and your favorite toppings and bake for another 10-15+ minutes until done. Serve hot and enjoy!!!
CC’s Homemade Pizza Sauce:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp oregano and 2 tbsp basil
- Saute the onions, garlic and jalapenos in 1-2 tbsp of water until soft.
- Add the balance of the ingredients and simmer on low, heating throughout, while the pizza is cooking.
I hope you enjoy this pizza as much as we did!!!
May you have a beautiful and blessed weekend!