Take some some rice and place it in the rice cooker and press go! What a great invention, I love our rice cooker! Then take some nopales cactus, 1/2 of a white onion, 4 serrano peppers, 2 tomatoes, a handful of fresh cilantro, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 can of black olives, 1 lime and saute them together in a wok. Seasoned with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. Meanwhile, saute the asparagus in olive oil, the juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Cook until heated throughout. Place a bed of rice in a bowl, top with the Summer Veggie mixture and surround with Asparagus. Mama mia!
- 1 cup rice combined with 2 cups water
- 1/2 bunch asparagus - rinsed and de-stemmed
- 3 TBSP vegetable broth
- 1 stem nopales cactus - cut into small pieces
- 1/2 of a white onion - sliced
- 4 serrano peppers - diced
- 2 tomatoes - sliced
- a handful of fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves of garlic - sliced 'n diced
- 1/2 can of black olives
- 2 limes - squeezed
- To taste: cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes
- Place rice and water in a rice cooker and press cook.
- Prepare the veggies. Preheat vegetable broth in a wok. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for a minute or two. Add the nopales and serrano peppers and saute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, olives, cilantro and seasoning. Saute until cooked throughout.
- Simultaneously, heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add asparagus and season with juice of 1 lime, salt and pepper. Opt for red pepper flakes as well. Cook throughout.
- Place a bed of rice in a bowl, top with the summer veggie mixture and surround with asparagus! Serve hot.
To your health!!