Often when I am low on ingredients, the most delicious creations are made. Out of a perceived lack comes an abundantly great meal.
I was in this predicament when I created one of our most cherished comfort meals; Creamy Potato Soup with Black Beans and Roasted Potatoes on top. Fast forward to about a week ago and I was down to sweet potatoes, black beans and garlic. Instantly the idea came to me - make the previous creamy potato soup but with sweet potatoes. The results? Creamy, savory, sweet potato soup with crisp sweet potatoes on top, a sprinkle of onions, red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan cheese. The first time I made it, I included black beans, fantastic! The second time, I didn't have beans prepared and was already half way through the video, so excluded them, either way is lick your bowl good. I hope you love this recipe! Watch the new video with a blooper in it, I had a tongue twist moment where I couldn't spit it out nor read my typo.... :) The recipe is also below.
This dinner is completely vegan made with plant based whole-foods from scratch, oil-free, and gluten-free.This creates a hearty satisfying soup and is a fun way to use sweet potatoes. My notes had 5 STARS!! Plus, sweet potatoes are full of fiber, are great for your heart, has vitamin B6, a rich source of vitamin A, C and E, manganese helping with blood sugar levels, treats anemia and also provides a great source of energy. Enjoy this healthy meal from my home to yours
With Love & Light in these trying times on our Mother Earth,
Makes 2-4 Bowls
• 1 ½ Cups Sweet Potatoes – Chunky Cubes
• ½ tsp Sea Salt
• ½ tsp Paprika
• ¼ tsp Black Pepper
• Opt dash of Cayenne
• 3 Cups Diced Sweet Potatoes
• 3 Cups Dairy Free Milk
• 2 Large Garlic Cloves - Minced/Diced Fine
• ½ Cup Diced Sweet Onion
• 1 1/2 tsp Salt
• 1 tsp Black Pepper
• 1/2 Cup Cashews, Soaked for 4 hours
• Protein Booster: 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Black Beans (1 can or homemade)
• Top with ½ cup chopped onions, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan which is nutritional yeast and cashews.
1. Soak ½ cup cashews in hot water.
2. Place 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes cut into chunky cubes in a small pot with salted water. Bring to a boil, and once you can pierce the sweet potato with a fork, turn off the stove, strain and transfer to a baking sheet that is lightly greased, lined with parchment or a non-stick mat.
3. Season with ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp paprika, and ¼ tsp black pepper plus a dash of cayenne if you please. Bake until crisp, 20-30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the soup. Place 3 cups of diced sweet potatoes with 3 cups of dairy free milk in a large pot. Add 2 large cloves of garlic, freshly minced as well as ½ cup diced sweet onion. Add 1 ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper and mix well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally.
5. Drain the cashews and place in a blender with 2 cups of the soup. Blend until silky smooth. Pour that mixture back into the soup and mix well. At this point you can also add 1 ½ cups pre-cooked black beans.
6. Transfer to two to four bowls, top with the roasted sweet potatoes, a ½ cup chopped onions, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and optional vegan Parmesan which is primarily nutritional yeast and cashews.
Welcome to ArtisticVegan.com where you can find access to hundreds of vegan recipes. I love cooking, food, yoga and so much more. Thank you for stopping by!!
Search Artistic Vegan
Current Reader Favorites
Homemade Vegan Sausages
Free of Soy, Gluten & Dairy
Smoked Apple Sage Sausage
No Oil, Soy, Dairy or Gluten
The man who lights my fire!