My original gluten-free recipe for Almond Coconut Flour Pancakes turned out much worse than hoped for. I posted it and got 2 bad reviews! :'( I was so bummed, wrote back, removed the recipe and decided not to take it to heart but to take it as a challenge to make a bullet proof recipe that won't stick to your pan!
I took my time. Read an article on how to keep pancakes from sticking. Reviewed numerous recipes and found one by Gluten-Free-Vegan-Girl that stood out, it sounded like she had her ups and downs with pancakes as well. I couldn't find a more satisfying picture or recipe so decided this was it, my chance at redemption!
- Use a Non Stick Pan
- Wash, rinse and dry your pan
- Spray the pan with a non-stick spray or use a paper towel dabbed in oil to coat providing an even sheen
- Place the burner on Medium heat
- Test the pan several times by flicking small drops of water on the pan, when it's ready the water will sizzle.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan (or desired size)
- Allow the pancake to cook almost completely on the top, it will take longer but it's important to allow it to cook slow and steady over not too high of heat to avoid burning and sticking.
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (see tips to make your own)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 Cups homemade cashew milk (or favorite dairy free milk)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Juice from 1 small lime (or 1/2 lemon)
- 2 cups frozen or fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cups dates
- 1/3 cup warm water
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Place cashew milk, dates, vanilla and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and process until thick and creamy.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, spray with oil, once it is hot pour 1/4 cup of pancake batter into the pan. Once the pancake is firm on the upward facing side, flip and cook until the pancake bounces back when touched and are a deep golden color. Ensuring not to use too high of heat as it may burn, stick or cook unevenly. Place on covered plate or in the oven at 200 degrees to keep warm while using the balance of the batter.
- Whilst making the pancakes prepare the sauce! In a medium sized pot or pan simmer 2 cups of frozen blackberries, 1/2 cup of pitted dates and 1/3 cup of warm water. Cooking until dates are soft, it will smell like a pie!! Allow to cool, blend and set aside in a jar. Use as topping on your cakes! Feel free to double as it's really delicious and others may want extra! :)
- To make buckwheat flour grind buckwheat grouts in a high speed blender until it forms a powder.
- Opt for a light brown buckwheat vs. grey.
- Try a brown rice flour & Sorghum flour mix or your favorite gluten free mix.
- Use your favorite berry!