1 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Freshly Minced Garlic
2 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Cilantro
1/4 Cup Dairy Free Milk
2 Tbsp. Tahini
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
Top it With (opt):
1 Tbsp Oil (I used avocado, olive would be great, try coconut butter for oil free)
1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
Chopped Cilantro (Desired amount, I went a little heavy with 1-2 tbsp)
- Mix dairy free milk and lemon juice together. Set aside 5 minutes to curdle.
- Whisk the gluten-free flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Stir in the herbs until combined, then the garlic. Add the dairy free milk mixture. Mix until it comes together and kneed for one minute. Adjust with additional dairy free milk or flour if needed, it will be on the sticky side, I used one extra splash of dairy free milk.
- Form into a ball. If you are using oil, you can cover with oil, I didn't and it was okay. Cover and set aside for 10-30 minutes.
- Divide into desired amount, 2-4 balls, I did 3. Lightly flour a clean surface, the ball of dough and your rolling pin and roll into desired shape. I went for an oval. Dip your fingers in water and gently brush each side with water. This is optional but I find it helps.
- On a smoking hot un-greased pan (heat for 5-10 min over med-high heat), bake until bubbles form. Flip and cook for another 30-60 seconds or until desired.
- On a lowered gas flame, very carefully transfer the flatbread directly on over the flame to get the burnt look over certain places. Remove and cover with a towel. Repeat until down.
- Gently brush with the optional garlic cilantro topping and enjoy!! We love to dip ours in hot curry or soup and a number of other ways.
- My pan was a nonstick pan, with another pan it may actually stick to to the pan, in that case cook it until bubbles form, then turn your pan over, as the flatbread sticks, hold the pan over the fire until the other side is done, moving it around until golden with burnt spots.
- The calories will vary based on which dairy free milk is used and if you use oil or tahini.
- In the flatbread recipe, you can use coconut butter, or even a vegetable based oil like olive, avocado or coconut vs. the tahini.
- If you don't have lemon juice, an acidic alternative like lime or vinegar will work.
Nutritional Information for Plain Flatbread | Servings: 3
Serving Size: 1 Flatbread | Calories: 263 Calories | Total Fat: 10.6 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 g | Carbohydrates: 36.8 grams | Sugar: 0.9 grams
Sodium: 122 mg | Fiber: 2.6 grams | Protein: 6.7 grams
Nutritional Information for Flatbread with garlic, cilantro & oil on top
Serving Size: 1 Flatbread | Calories: 270 Calories | Total Fat: 11.2 grams
Saturated Fat: 5.2 g | Carbohydrates: 37.2 grams | Sugar: 0.9 grams
Sodium: 122 mg | Fiber: 2.8 grams | Protein: 6.8 grams