It soon came to my attention that I had never tried to make tomato soup! So I gave it a try and not only is it quick and simple but it is lip smacking delicious. After eating a bowl I immediately feel better. I don't know what it is but it just makes my body feel alive! My body warms up instantly and my blood flow feels better. Now I ensure I have all the ingredients I need on hand so I can most always make a batch of tomato soup!
What do you need? 1 sweet onion, 2-5 cloves garlic (depending on your liking), 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery, 1 can of diced organic tomatoes or a couple cups of chopped tomatoes will do as well. Add 1 cup of vegetable broth or water if you are out. Add salt and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste! My oh my what a taste sensation this is! Add parsley or basil for added flavor and health benefits. I've also made it without the celery and carrot and it was still sensational. Ideally I'd have organic heirloom tomatoes fresh picked from the garden but until then this will do just fine!
- 1 medium sized sweet onion - chopped
- 2-5 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 carrot - chopped finely
- 1 stalk of celery - chopped finely
- 1 can of diced organic tomatoes + juice
- 1 cup of vegetable stock (water if you're out)
- OPT: 1/2 cup of nut milk for added creaminess
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion and garlic in vegetable stock over medium high heat until translucent.
- Add the chopped carrot and celery and saute until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock and nut milk. Simmer on medium-low to low heat for 15-20 minutes. The longer it simmers the more flavorful it will be.
- Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes for an added kick and enjoy! Opt to add parsley or basil for garnish.
OPT: Feel free to saute the onion in olive oil and add a little vegan butter when you add the milk. It's quite tasty although I typically make it without oil and butter for a healthier low-fat option.
I hope this finds you warm and in good health! It's almost Valentine's day! Let your LOVE SHINE!!!