If you've ever seen the movie Julie & Julia there is a scene where Julia is cutting up onions in a fury after being embarrassed in cooking class. Julia is standing over a mound of chopped onions crying, when her husband walks in he instantly stops, grabs his eyes and goes to leave.
She asks "Hungry?"
he replies "No"
she says "good"
and continues chopping away. The next day she is proud to show off her fast chopping skills! Here is a link if you wish to watch the onion mastery.
I was cutting the onions for this broth, crying up a storm while I look over to see Jerry wiping his eyes and waving as he heads for the door haha! It was so funny and reminded us of this movie scene. Moments like this make the soup taste better I swear.
This recipe was inspired by Vegan Yum Yum where I found a recipe that was easy and well worth it. The write up is creative, the pictures are beautiful and it inspired me enough to get off a dime and make my own vegetable broth. I hope I can do the same for you!
This recipe is:
- incredibly simple
- made with 100% whole-food ingredients
and available right here right now.
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 1 lb celery, chopped
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 3 Bay leafs
- Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 gallon filtered water
- OPT: Red Pepper Flakes
- OPT: Chopped Broccoli or other veggies you'd like to add!
- Add a bit of water to a very large pot and saute the onions.
- While the onions are cooking chop the carrots and add them to the pot. Repeat with the celery and any additional vegetables you'd like.
- Add the water, bay leafs, salt, pepper stir and cover for an hour.
- Flavor with tamari or soy sauce, cover for 20 more minutes.
- Strain the vegetables into a large pot or pitcher. Pour into a jar, container or ice cube trays for later use.
~ Christa ~