- CINNAMON SUGAR
1/2 Cup (4 oz) Vegan Cream Cheese of choice OR See Below
1/2 Cup (4 oz) Coconut Butter (or Coconut oil)
8 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
3/4 Cup Oat Flour (gluten free oats, ground to flour)
1/4 Cup Potato Starch
3/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
1/2 Cup Chopped Raisins
1/4 Cup Preserves (I used raspberry, apricot is common)
1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Flax; 3 Tbsp Water mixed)
1 Tbsp Dairy Free Milk
Instant Vegan Cream Cheese:
1/2 Cup Cashews
3 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Nutritional Yeast (opt)
Zest of Lemon (few strokes)
1 Tbsp Coconut Butter or Coconut Oil
- If you are making the cream cheese, combine everything in a food processor and mix together until nice and creamy.
- Add the coconut butter (or oil) to the vegan cream cheese and whip together until fluffy.
- Add 2 tbsp of the coconut sugar, the salt and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- In a bowl, whisk the oat flour and potato starch together. Fold the wet mixture into the dry. I added 1-2 tbsp extra oat flour, adjust if needed, it will be a bit soft and wet but with the coconut butter and oil it will firm considerably in the fridge.
- Take 1/2 of the dough, place in plastic wrap, shape in a ball-ish shape. Repeat with the other 1/2. Place in the fridge to firm, 2 + hours to overnight. I went overnight, and it was excellent.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes and then roll it out. I placed wax paper on the bottom, 1/2 of the dough on the wax paper, and covered it with plastic wrap. You can use that, or flour the surface or use parchment paper....
- Roll the dough into approximately a 9" circle.
- Add 2 tbsp of the preserves to the dough, brush or spread it out leaving about 1/2" around the edge.
- Mix together 4 tbsp of the coconut sugar, 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon, the chopped pecans and raisins. Take 1/2 of the filling and spread it on top of the jam. Gently press into dough.
- Cut the circle in quarters. Cut each quarter into thirds.
- Use a floured knife (or metal spatula) to carefully go under one section to roll it up. Start at the wide wedge (back) and roll up to the narrow point (front). Rolling from back to front, wide to narrow. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet (or silmat) with points tucked under.
- Let cookies rest for 30 minutes on the counter while preheating the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Take the congealed flax "egg" and add 1 tbsp of dairy free milk to it. Mix together. Brush each cookie with the mixture.
- Mix the remaining coconut sugar (2 1/2 Tbsp) and remaining cinnamon (1/2 tsp) together, generously sprinkle on each cookie.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden. I went 20 minutes.
- Place the cookie sheet on a cooling rack, cool for 5 minutes on the pan. Then remove from the pan, and cool on the rack. Enjoy as you please!