"JJ's Patties" were inspired with my step-son in mind, focusing on good digestion and high nutrition. The smell and taste are irresistible and Jerry and I can't help but eat one or two. JJ will look at our plate with a look indicating "what do you think you are doing?" haha! Therefore...they are JJ's Patties!
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 pckgs Tempeh (ensure gluten-free if allergic)
- 4 carrots - peeled
- 2 leaves chard - de-stem
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 2 cups kidney beans (pre-cooked)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup oregano
- 1 onion (feel free to use 1/2)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 lemon - squeezed
- Mix flax meal and warm water with fork. Set aside to form egg substitute.
- In a food processor chop the tempeh, vegetables, beans and fresh herbs.
- Pour the chopped ingredients into a large bowl. Add the egg substitute and kneed the mixture to form a dough mixture.
- Refrigerate for an hour +.
- Form a patty. Tip: I use the top to a mason jar to form a circular patty shape.
- Preheat oil in a pan or try oil free and preheat water or vegetable broth in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add patties and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until the bottom is nice and brown.
- Flip and cook for another 10 minutes+, until desired consistency.
I typically pre-cook all of the patties and then freeze the extras so I have them on hand for any occasion. Use your favorite toppings and throw it on a bun, lettuce or enjoy as is!
Toppings used above:
Sliced Red Onion
Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
IT WAS THE BOMB!