This potato cake is easy to make, layer slices of potato with a savory vegan "cheese" blend of nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and place in the oven. About an hour later you are left with a savory treat! I hope you enjoy a meatless meal this Monday, if inclined, give this one a try!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil + enough to coat pan
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- Place a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat to 450 degrees F. Line a 8 or 9 inch cake or spring-form pan with parchment paper. Coat the bottom and sides of the pan with olive oil. To weight down the potato cake, locate a heavy pot or ovenproof dish that will fit on top of the pan.
- Mix the nutritional yeast, salt and pepper together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Slice the potatoes in your food processor using the thinnest slicing disk available.
- Arrange an even layer of potatoes in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle the yeast mixture on top. Repeat 6 to 7 times and end with a dash of the yeast mixture covering the last layer. Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on top.
- Lay 2 large sheets of aluminum foil on top of the pan, set the heavy pot on top and firmly press into the potatoes, pressing them into the pan. Press the overhanging foil tightly to the sides and under the bottom of the pan. If using a spring-form pan, set it on a foil lined baking sheet to catch droppings.
- Transfer to the oven and fill the pot halfway with water to make it even heavier. Bake for about an hour, until the cake offers no resistance when pierced (through the foil) with a knife.
- Serve hot! We paired ours with sweet corn and homemade salsa.
To your continued health!