IRRESISTIBLE GREEN GEMS!
My husband was so happy I learned this recipe and since then we've done our best to keep a batch in our fridge at all times. It is also wildly convenient when you are cooking and a recipe calls for a jalapeno, just spoon some out and voilà!
- 1 Lb - Jalapeno Peppers - Sliced Thin
- 3-4 Carrots - Peeled & Sliced
- 1 Onion - Sliced
- Wash and chop the vegetables. Place vegetable mix into mason jar(s), distributing as desired. More peppers = spicier batch!
- Pour equal amounts of water and vinegar over the pepper mix, add desired amount of salt. I add salt, fill the jar halfway full of vinegar and the balance with water, seal and shake. You may use a measuring cup if desired, it is a 1:1, water to vinegar ratio. Seal, shake, refrigerate overnight. Serve the following day. Store in fridge. Lasts for one month++.
- Use only peppers vs. adding onions and carrots.
- Try Serrano Peppers for a spicier blend! Or Habanero if you really like it hot.
- My husband's favorite is to add pearl onions, cauliflower and carrots to the mix.
- Have fun, mix it up! I've tried: cabbage, beets, chili peppers, bell peppers you name it!
- Try using different vinegars. My Dad's favorite is Apple Cider Vinegar! My Mother-In-Law uses White Vinegar. I've tried both and like them both ways! :)
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water afterwards and avoid touching sensitive areas such as your face for a while, to be safe!
- You may also opt to wear gloves.