- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 1/3 Coconut Sugar (brown sugar/preferred sweetener)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar-Free Applesauce
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 Cup All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cacao or Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt (or regular)
- 1/2 tsp (+/- or not at all) Espresso Powder
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Chocolate Chips (Mine were 73% cacao)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- Opt: 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- Opt: 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Cream (I used the Thai Heritage brand)
Decorate as you desire!
I used fresh strawberries and a small piece or chocolate for shavings.
- Grease a cake pan lightly with coconut oil or spray. Cut a circle of parchment paper and place it in the bottom of the pan, ensuring it lays flat. Lightly coat with oil. This is just precautionary, it doesn't stick at all when you do this. :)
- Mix the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside to sour for 5 minutes. It will act as our buttermilk.
- Mash or puree the banana, mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, reserving the chocolate chips. Combine the wet to dry. Mix until combined and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the pan. Set aside for 10 minutes and preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake for 38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make your ganache by combining the chocolate, vanilla and maple syrup in a heat proof dish.
- Heat the dairy free milk until simmers but remove before it boils. Pour over the chocolate mixture. Cover for one minute. Stir with a fork until completely smooth. Place in the fridge to thicken.
- Once the cake is baked, cool completely and frost. You will have to whip up the frosting with a fork or you could use a mixer. Spread on top, eat as is or decorate as desired. I placed fresh strawberry slices on the outer layer and then kept making circles until it was filled. Sprinkled with chocolate shavings. Beautiful!
If you don't frost the cake, just eat it as is, also great!
Basic Nice-Cream recipe
Serving Size: 1 Slice | Calories: 158 Calories | Total Fat: 6.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 g | Carbohydrates: 23.9 grams | Sugar: 12.3 grams
Sodium: 126 mg | Fiber: 2.1 grams | Protein: 2.6 grams