Southern Stuffed Green Chili Peppers [Free of: Oil, Gluten, Soy, Nuts and Dairy]
- 4 Green Peppers
- 1 Cups Cooked Rice
- 1 Green Onion - Sliced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 Cup Salsa
- 1 Cup Chopped Vine Ripened Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Cooked Black Beans
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes and Cayenne to taste
- Turn the oven on the broil setting. While the oven is heating place 1 cup of white rice and 2 cups of water in a rice cooker. Press cook.
- While the rice is cooking, slice the green chili peppers in half, lengthwise. Remove the seeds and ribs.
- Place the peppers on a pan, skin facing upward. Broil 7 minutes. Flip and broil 7 additional minutes. Based on the thickness of the pepper, it may need to go longer. I found 2 were done, and the others still had to go an additional 5+ minutes.
- While the peppers are in the oven, chop the green onion, in a cast iron skillet or preferred pan saute the black beans and green onion in the vegetable broth or water base. Add 1 cup of salsa, the vine ripened tomatoes, and spices. Add 2 cups of the cooked rice, save remainder for future meals. Stir to combine and heat throughout.
- Stuff the broiled peppers with filling and serve! Opt to add vegan cheese and broil a couple extra minutes to melt and serve with cilantro.