I’ve come across several recipes for vegan chocolate mousse, but every one of them I’ve found too sweet or used large quantities of candy in the form of melted chocolate chips. Left to my own devices, I’ve come up with what I think you will agree is the perfect chocolate mousse.
8 dried dates
2 (12.3-ounce) packages of Mori-Nu Silken Firm Organic Tofu (see note)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup cacao powder
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 tablespoon triple sec (optional)
1 tablespoon crème de cacao (optional)
1. Cover the dates with ½ cup of hot water and let sit for an hour or overnight.
2. Steam the tofu over boiling water (use a steam rack as you would for vegetables) for 10 minutes. Let cool.
3. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until creamy.
4. Pour into individual dessert cups and chill for several hours before serving.
Note: The secret to making desserts or cream sauces using tofu, I’ve discovered after much experimentation, is to cook the tofu first. This extracts any beany taste, and you’d never know that there is tofu in the recipe. I simply place blocks of tofu in a steam basket in a pan on the stove and steam them for about 10 minutes. This recipe also makes a fine chocolate mousse pie— just pour the mousse as prepared above into a prepared pie shell and chill.
Looking for a great gift? Sign up for my #BenBellaVegan #sponsored giveaway!!
GO TO INSTAGRAM TO READ ALL ABOUT IT
- Like THIS photo follow @artisticvegan77, @lani.muelrath, @benbellavegan
- Tag 2 Friends that would love this book OR comment!
- For a bonus entry repost this picture and tag #AVgiveaway1
- Contest open to US/Canada residents only.