2 Pie Crusts - I used the Gluten-Free Oat Variety
6 Large Apples or 9 Apples of Various Sizes
2 Tbsp Oat Flour
2 Tbsp Starch of choice
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg (fresh is great)
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
Vegan Egg Wash:
1-2 Tbsp Oil or Dairy Free Milk (Olive, Earth Balance Melted...)
1-2 Tbsp Agave or Syrup of choice
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Lightly grease your pie dish.
- Take your prepared pie crusts out of the fridge, let rest for 10-15 minutes. While resting, prepare the apple pie filling. Peel, core and slice your apples into thin slices. Place them in a bath of water and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Drain apples and add the balance of the ingredients. Toss to coat completely. Set aside to marinade.
- Roll out one of the pie doughs on a floured surface with a floured pin until it can cover the entire pie dish. Take your rolling pin, and lift the crust onto the pin and roll it over the pin, and then unroll it onto your pie dish. Fit to the pan.
- Pour your apples into the pie dish, and spread out filling any gaps.
- Mix the vegan egg wash of oil and agave together, brush it on the edges of the crust.
- Roll out the second pie crust, in the same way as the first, roll the crust onto your pin and then unroll it carefully on top of the pie. Cut off any excess dough, and pinch the edges together to seal.
- With a fork make a criss cross pattern around the edge, or as desired. Make slits in the center (2-4) to allow steam to release.
- With the excess dough, freeze it for future use or roll it out and make fun shapes like leafs or apples. Apply by painting on the egg wash and pressing on. Generously brush the entire pie with egg wash.
- Apply a pie shield with parchment and or foil or a pie shield of choice to protect the crust. Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the pie shield, and bake for 15 more minutes or until golden.
- Place the entire pan on a cooling rack, once cool eough, place just the pie plate on the cooling rack and cool for 1-3 hours. Serve with vanilla ice cream or banana ice cream. ENJOY!