The best part is Babe, Wilbur and little Miss Piggy are all spared! This pulled "pork" is made not form a pig but from JACKFRUIT! Say what? That's right, Jackfruit! It doesn't look like much at first, but have faith; it cooks into the most mouth watering meal. It's almost too good to be true
Jackfruit is a very large fruit mainly grown in tropical climates. I updated the pictures with a jackfruit tree we saw in Southern Mexico. I was so excited to see it at our hotel! Jackfruit is loaded with potassium, vitamin C, fiber, dietary fiber and fats and so much more.
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed well with solid center pieces removed.
- 1 red onion, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Hamburger buns - or fresh veggies! (I used: 1 bell / 1 avocado)
- 1/2 tsp + spicy red pepper flakes (I like it spicy - I used about 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- dash of salt
- dash of garlic powder
- Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Dash of Maple Syrup
- Mix together dry rub ingredients and toss over pre-rinsed and drained jackfruit. Place in medium pot over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, until it starts to become tender.
- Pour sauce over jackfruit and simmer.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic until caramelized. Add to jackfruit mixture and continue to simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cooking sheet with parchment paper and spray with a nonstick spray.
- Place simmered "pork" onto prepared cooking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. It will help create a more firm and chewy texture.
- Load up your favorite bun or serve with fresh veggies and dig in!
Tip: Ensure Hamburger Buns and BBQ Sauce are Gluten-Free if allergic to gluten.