1 Block - Extra Firm Tofu (NonGMO, Organic)
1-2 Tbsp Preferred Oil (see below for oil-free opts)
2 Cups Golden Rice or Favorite Grain like Quinoa
Cilantro or Favorite Herb to Garnish
1 Avocado (or 1-2 Cups Cauliflower)
1/4 Cup of Potato Starch (sub: corn, arrowroot, tapioca..)
1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce, Tamari or Coconut Aminos
1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tbsp Freshly Minced Ginger
1 Heaping Tbsp Freshly Minced Garlic
1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup, Agave or of Choice
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
- Make the marinade by mixing the ingredients together and setting aside.
- Remove the tofu from the packaging, drain the excess liquid, slice into desired shape, I went for cubes. Carefully place the tofu in a dish or Tupperware. Pour the marinade on top. Marinade for 1 hour +, the longer the more flavorful, up to overnight.
- Take a piece of the tofu, dip it into starch until it is coated lightly and set aside. Repeat until done.
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan. Pan fry for 10 minutes with a lid on. Flip and remove the lid. Take it 10 more minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Lower the heat. Carefully brush on the marinade onto each side. Flipping so each side gets nice and crisp again. You can brush on more marinade for the glazed look.
- Serve over the rice, with avocado and cilantro on top, you can also add hot sauce or sub the avocado for steamed cauliflower.
Oil-Free Options: Bake these until nice and crisp or use soy or tamari sauce to pan-fry in. In the marinade use tahini or sesame seeds vs. sesame oil.
Another Method: You can freeze, defrost and then use the tofu or use it immediately. Chef's preference. This can cause it to be more "meatier". I tested this and did love it both ways.
Soy-Free: Use Hemp-Tofu if available in your area and Coconut Aminos vs. Tamari Sauce.