- 3 Cups Black Beans (Pre-Cooked)
- 3 Cups Peeled Sweet Potatoes (Pre-Cooked)
- Big Handful Cilantro Leaves
- Salt, Pepper and Cayenne to Taste
- 1/3 Cup Sriracha Chili Garlic Sauce (or less)
- 3/4 Cup Corn Meal (or preferred flour)
- Preheat your oven to 400 °F (204 °C). Line a pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Combine the ingredients together in a large bowl or food processor. If using a bowl, mash with your desired tool - fork, bean masher, potato masher, even a pie cutter. Once it is mashed, well combined and you can easily pinch it, holding together, you are there.
- Divide and roll into 9 balls. Take the ball, flatten slightly between your palms.
- Transfer to a tortilla press that is lined with parchment paper, plastic wrap, a plastic bag sliced in half or even wax paper. Press 3/4 of the way down, don't press too far or too hard or it will make a tortilla - which I think would be a fun experiment for the future, but for this recipe you want a patty so 3/4 of the way should work out.
- Transfer to a prepared pan. Even out the patty, one side may be higher since we didn't press all the way down, shape it slightly and then repeat until done.
- Bake at 400 °F (204 °C) for 20 to 30 minutes on each side or until desired consistency.
- Remove and serve as desired.
I served ours on homemade buns, secret sauce (in the video) lettuce, tomatoes, onions, avocado and sprouts. It was DELICIOUS! I served the leftover toppings on the side. Easy! We had it again last night and split a burger but added Jamie Oliver's perfect roast potatoes and a salad. It was fantastic!
- Originally this recipe was 1/3 of the amount listed, so feel free to reduce or increase as desired.
- Freeze extra patties. If you know you aren't going to eat them right away, take the patties that aren't cooked, place them in-between parchment paper, remove from freezer the day of to thaw in the fridge, bake as normal. I've also froze the pre-cooked patties which works well and gives a crispier patty since you are cooking it twice.
- Mix up the flavors, spices, toppings and have fun!