- 1 Large Onion - Chopped
- 1/2 - 1 lb. Vegan Italian Sausages (See note)
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic - Minced
- 4 Cups Freshly Chopped Tomatoes (or 28 oz can is okay)
- 7 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Parmesan Cheese (See note)
- 8 oz Gluten Free Lasagna Noodles
- 2 Large Handfuls Fresh Basil - Finely Slice Leaves
- 1-2 Batches Mozzarella Cheese
- Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste
- Sauté the onions and vegan Italian sausages for 8-10 minutes until fragrant and colored, either in vegetable broth for oil-free or 1/2-1 tbsp of oil, I used avocado oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds while mixing.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your cheese if making it homemade and break your noodles into approximately 1" pieces or bite size-ish pieces.
- After 20 minutes, add the noodles. Cook for 10+ minutes until Al Dente or desired consistency. Remove from heat.
- Stir in basil and vegan Parmesan cheese. You can add cheese at the bottom, or on top, or both. :) If on bottom, add the mozzarella cheese, ladle the soup on top, top with any additional vegan cheese or toppings and serve hot!! Ooooh Mamma Mia!!
Vegan Sausage: I used my Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Sausages, I made 2 large vs. 4 small and doubled the steaming time. You can use your favorite store-bought variety like Tofurkey, Field Roast, or even use an equal part of TVP + vegetable broth or water mix, for example 1 cup TVP to 1 cup vegetable broth or water. Beefless grounds can also be purchased like Gardein. I also have other sausage varieties.
Vegan Parmesan: Take 1/2 cup raw cashews, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp garlic salt or garlic power + desired salt, mix in a food processor or clean coffee grinder until it is finely ground.
Vegan Mozzarella: 1/4 Cup Cashews, 1 Cup Filtered Water, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (okay to omit), 1/2 tsp garlic powder, onion powder and salt. 2 tbsp starch, I used potato starch. 1 lemon wedge to 1/2 squeezed. Blend, heat until thickens stirring frequently to avoid lumps. If lumps form, stir them out. Easily re-heat and thin out with a splash of dairy free milk.
Noodles: Use your favorite noodle, it is fun to use the lasagna noodles, if you don't have a gluten allergy use your favorite. I used Hodgson Mill's.
Inspired by Laura in the Kitchen, love her!