- 3 Cups Flour (Gluten-Free All-Purpose, Wheat, See Below)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Butter or Oil
- 1 tsp Psyllium Husk + 4 Tbsp Water
- ¼ - ½ Cup Water as needed for soft/smooth dough
- Mix the psyllium husk + water well. See below for other options. Congeal for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour and salt in a food processor or bowl. Cut in coconut butter with pie cutter or use food processor until distributed. Add congealed psyllium mixture and mix. Add water in small increments, mix it together, keep adding a little at a time until you have a soft smooth dough.
- Divide dough into 2 large balls. Roll out to 1/8" thin. Use a bowl or as desired to cut round circular disks for empanadas, or use a tortilla press with small balls. Use immediately or store in fridge/freezer for future.
- Add a spoonful of filling in middle. Fold disc, seal by pressing dough w/fingers. Use fork to seal or curl it using your fingers to twist the edges. I find picking up the circular disk in my hand like a taco shell, filling it, placing it down immediatly, sealing it, and then transferring to a pan is easiest for me. Repeat until done.
- Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. This helps seal and prevent leaking.
- Brush with preferred vegan egg wash, see notes for ideas.
- Bake at 400°F to 425°F in a hot preheated oven for 18-25+ minutes until golden.
Flour: you can use an unbleached all-purpose, whole-wheat, gluten-free all purpose flour blend like Bob's Red Mill or preferred, you can also use buckwheat, oat flour or preferred. If you use oat or buckwheat flour I recommend reducing the flour by 1/2 cup and add 1/2 cup starch.
Other Vegan Egg Opt: 1 Tbsp Flax or Chia Meal + 3 Tbsp Water
Vegan Egg Wash: 1 Tbsp Agave/Maple Syrup + 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Dairy Free Milk for sweets, 1 Tbsp Soy/Tamari Sauce, 1 Tbsp Agave/Maple Syrup + opt 1 tsp Olive Oil for savory or just a little oil or dairy free milk.
Oil-Free Plant-Perfect Ideas: Nut or Seed Butters, Pureed Beans, Tofu, Applesauce, Banana Puree, Fruit Puree, Vegetable Puree like Potato or Sweet Potato, Pumpkin etc...
Fillings: Whatever you can dream of!