VEGAN Queso (Nacho Cheese) – Click for Recipe
2 Poblano Peppers
6 Nopal Pads (or favorite vegetable)
12 Tortillas (corn or favorite)
Tomatillo Salsa or Salsa Verde, or favorite Enchilada Sauce
Tomatillo Salsa or Salsa Verde
12 lg or 16 small Tomatillos – Husk removed
½ Medium Onion - Quartered
3 Cloves Garlic – Peeled / Whole
2 Guajillo Chilis (pass for verde)
Salt & Pepper to taste
½ Lime – Juiced
Handful Cilantro (pass if you don’t like it but so good really)
- Preheat oven to highest heat / broil.
- Slice the poblano peppers in half, use a knife to go around the top and remove the stem, use a pairing knife to carefully remove the white ribbing and seeds. Tap to remove any extra seeds. Careful not to touch face if you touch the seeds.
- Roast the peppers skin side up, sliced side down. Roast 10 + minutes, flip, roast 10 minutes or until the skin begins to char.
- Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the nopales, poblanos, onion and garlic. Boil for 10 minutes. You can add the onion and garlic after 5 minutes or all at once.
- Drain. Reserve the water if using the Guajillo Chilis. De-stem and remove the seeds from the chilis, place in the hot water for 5-10 minutes to soften while the peppers finish in the oven. Blend with the balance of the tomatillo salsa ingredients until smooth.
- Once the poblano peppers are cool enough to touch, chop into bite size pieces. Prepare 12 corn tortillas or your fav. I take a tortilla over my gas stove, heat until it wilts, flip, once it wilts it is done. Metal tongues for safety.
- Set up your station with the salsa, queso, poblano peppers and nopales. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan. Spread the salsa or sauce on the base, generously. Take a warmed tortilla, place a spoonful of queso inside, a sprinkle of chopped poblano peppers and nopal, roll it up. Place the seem side down and repeat until done.
- Add sauce on top until completley covered. Reserve extra for serving if you have any. Add the balance of the queso on top. Sprinkle any remaining veggies on top if you desire, I also added some chopped red onion for more color. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 450 degrees F or until golden. Serve hot!