1/2 Cup Dairy Free Milk of Choice
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar (Apple Cider Vinegar or Lemon Juice)
Zest of 1/2 Small Lemon
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tsp Oregano
2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
OPT: 1 Tbsp Tamari/Soy Sauce
1 Cup Cashews OR 1 Block of Firm Tofu (Organic, Non-GMO)
For the Tofu Variety:
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place a steamer basket on top. Place the entire block of tofu as is, on the steamer basket. Place a lid on top. Steam for 10 minutes.
- While steaming, whisk together the marinade, for this variety include the tamari/soy sauce. Set aside.
- Allow tofu to cool to touch and slice into cubes or as desired (crumble etc.) Place the prepared and sliced/crumbled tofu in a jar. Pour the marinade on top.
- Seal the jar. Refrigerate for 8+hours, the longer it goes the more flavorful it'll be. This will last for about 5 days or so in the fridge. Serve anyway you'd like! We had ours on a basic cucumber salad and used the marinade as our dressing. It was divine! This would also be great on the Greek Salad for the Gods. Have it with pita bread, falafal, salad, flat bread you name it.
For the Cashew Variety:
- Soak your cashews overnight until you can easily break them apart with your fingers. You can also boil them for 30 minutes for a quicker method. Drain and rinse the prepared cashews, crush them until they are chunky with a potato masher, pastry cutter or a quick pulse in the food processor.
- Place the prepared cashews in a jar. Whisk the marinade ingredients less the soy/tamari sauce to keep it soy-free (coconut aminos could be used for similar flavor), and pour the marinade on top of the cashews.
- Seal the jar. Refrigerate for 8+hours, the longer it goes the more flavorful it'll be. This will last for about 2-3 days or so in the fridge. Serve as you desire! I roasted veggies in the extra marinade and poured the "cashew feta" on top, delicious!
With love and light,