With lots of love and light,
WE ALL SCREAM
FOR ICE CREAM!
- 1 Cup Almonds (Soaked Overnight)
- 3 Cups Filtered Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (1 Bean Pod, or paste/powder)
- 3/4 Cup Medjool Dates (pitted/packed)
- 1 Tbsp Psyllium Husk
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Opt: Pinch salt (helpful)
- Combine the psyllium husk and water together in a small cup to make the vegan egg.
- Blend the almonds and water in a high speed blender for 60 seconds (on juice setting for mine) until completely creamy, if not using a high speed blender or it is still chunky feel free to blend again. Strain in a sieve over a container to catch the almond milk, use a spatuala or utensil to press all of the milk out. You can also use a nut-milk bag.
- Pour the filtered almond milk back in the blender, add the balance of the ingredients (vanilla, dates, congealed vegan egg mixture and pinch of salt if using.) Blend for 40+ seconds until very creamy.)
- Pour into a freezer safe dish, cover with plastic wrap (or damp parchment paper) pressing the wrap into the top of the ice cream, this prevents ice crystals.
- Freeze overnight or until 1/2 way frozen (or completely frozen.)
- If completely frozen, defrost halfway or until you can blend it again. Blend. Either stop here and enjoy the BEST vegan milkshake ever!! AND/OR place it back into the freezer safe dish (I like a deep enough dish or pot to scoop from) cover with the wrap again, pressing into the top of the ice cream. Freeze until solid.
- Defrost 10-30 minutes, until scoopable - scoop and serve!!!
For Strawberry add 2+ cups fresh or frozen sweet ripe berries at step 6, when you re-blend.
- Using an ice cream machine is the easiest method and most successful! However if you don't have one, like me, this way works out great! The more it is blended (some blend every 30 minutes for 3-4 hours) the more amazing it will be.
- You can also use your favorite vegan egg mixture, you'll need 3/4 cup total. I've also done this with great success with aquafaba (the liquid reserved from boiling beans or in a can of beans, typically chickpea) but didn't want to gross you out. It truly works great though!!
- Modify: add chocolate, your favorite fruit, peanut butter, avegan snickers bar you name it!
- What do I do with the almond mash/pulp? Try this recipe!
- If you make it, please tag #artisticvegan. @artisticvegan77 on IG. I'd love to feature your post!