When I made the Homemade Vegan Italian Sausages I couldn't help but think of Zuppa Toscana and how wonderful it would be make it for my husband. I knew the perfect occasion, Valentine's Day lunch.
The scent awoke my husband from his nap to see if it was ready. I hope this soup is received in the same amount of appreciation in your home. With love & light, Christa
- 2 Homemade Vegan Italian Spiced Sausages
- 1/2-1 Tbsp Olive Oil - or Vegetable broth for oil-free
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Minced
- 1/2 White Onion - Diced
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Medium White or Russet Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups Spinach or Kale
- 3/4 cups Heavy Cashew Cream (see below)
- Salt, Black Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 1/4 Cup Cashews, Soaked until soft
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Sauté Italian sausage in a hot and greased cast iron skillet or favorite skillet and crumble as it cooks. Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until it resembles ground sausage.
- Sauté the garlic and onion in a pot or deep skillet for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook for 15+ minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- While cooking blend the cashew cream ingredients together, strain and set aside.
- Stir in the crumbled sausage and spinach or kale and cook for 1-2 minutes until it wilts. Add the heavy cashew cream and heat for about 1 minute. Season to taste with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and serve hot.
- Try Tofurkey Italian Sausage or your favorite vegan variety.
- Use your favorite nut milk like almond or try coconut milk.
- Add up to an additional cup of vegetable broth based on size of potatoes.
- Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious and it really is! :)