2 Cups Dried Chickpeas (Soaked overnight up to 24 hours and drained)
1 Small Onion
1/2 Cup Chopped Herbs (Mix of Coriander/Cilantro + Parsley)
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Jalapeno (Opt)
2 Tbsp Flour (I used Chickpea)
1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (Or less)
2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Cayenne (opt)
1/4 Cup Cashews - Soaked Overnight, Drained
1 Cup Dairy Free Milk
1/2 tsp each Sea Salt, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
2 Tbsp Starch of choice (I used potato)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar
Blend until completely liquefied and smooth. Heat on a stove in a saucepan over medium to low heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Heat for 3-5 minutes or until desired consistency. The more you heat it, the thicker it will become. It also thickens as it cools.
You will also need:
- Buns (I made a variation on these, new variation to come...)
- Onion Slices
- Tomato Slices
- Avocado Slices
Tahini Dressing (click for recipe)
- Vegan Mozzarella (store-bought or above recipe)
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Do not cook. Soak the cashews as well for the vegan cheese.
- The next day, preheat your oven to 400 °F (204 °C). Prep a pan by lining with parchment paper or lightly greasing.
- If you have a large food processor, combine all of the falafel ingredients and pulse until you have a fine mix that is grainy but not a hummus. Press down the sides occasionally to mix it evenly. If you have a small food processor, process in batches and hand mix in a large bowl.
- To make the baked Falafel Burgers, use your desired mold, I used a mason jar lid. Place a mason jar lid on a prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a spoon, pack the falafel mixture into the lid firmly. Remove the lid and repeat until done. In the video I tested leaving some lids on and some off, the one that was off not only was easier, but looked better. I recommend keeping it simple and removing the lids before baking!!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on each side, until nice and crispy golden brown on each side. Top with the vegan mozzarella cheese, place back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so until the cheese melts and warms throughout.
- Take your bun, slice it, opt to place a little tahini dressing on the bottom, place your Falafel burger on top, top with onion slices, tomato slices, sprouts, avocado slices, a healthy drizzle of the tahini dressing, opt to more dressing on your bun if that is your style and take a HUGE GIGANTIC bite!!! YUM!