- EVERYTHING I WANT IN A PULLED PORK SAMMY!
1/2 Green Cabbage
1/2 Red Cabbage
1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vingear
1/2-1 tsp Salt and Pepper (to taste)
3 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
3 Tbsp Olive Oil (try tahini, vegan yogurt, or lemon juice for oil-free)
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
Slice the cabbage and then chop. Place in a bowl, add the balance of the ingredients mix and cover. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. You can add carrots, onions and whatever else you'd like here.
1 Can Young Green Jackfruit or 1/2 Small Fresh Green Jackfruit
1 Tbsp Coconut Butter (vegetable oil or broth)
3 Cloves Garlic
Rub / Marinade:
2 tsp Paprika (Smoked if you have it)
1/2-1 tsp Salt, Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes or Ground Chili (to taste)
1 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Coconut Sugar
2 tsp Liquid Smoke (I chose Mesquite)
Special BBQ Sauce
1/2 Cup Vegan BBQ Sauce (Homemade or from the store)
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
Dash of Hot Sauce
Coleslaw (above or your favorite)
4 Buns (I used these!)
- To begin, drain and rinse your jackfruit, remove the core and seeds, you can reserve and use in other recipes if you’d like. Then break up the jackfruit a little.
- Pour the rub over the jackfruit and mix it all together until each piece is coated, I used tongues. Add the liquid smoke and mix until combined. Ideally you’ll want to leave that in the fridge overnight to marinade.
- Chop your onion, mince your garlic. Mix together the BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and opt to include hot sauce to taste.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or preferred skillet over medium to medium high heat. Once hot add 1 tbsp of coconut butter. Add your onions and heat for 5-7 minutes until translucent and fragrant, moving them around from time to time.
- Add the minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add the jackfruit as well as ¼ cup of the sauce. Lower the heat, cover for 15 minutes. You can also add about 1 cup of vegetable broth and cook over low heat for for 1-2 hours over low heat.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a pan, line with foil, top with parchment paper and create a basket for the vegan pulled pork.
- After 15 minutes, transfer to the pan, wrap and cover. Roast for 30 minutes. Remove the wrapper, brush on ¼ cup of the sauce on each side. Roast for 15 minutes more, rest while preparing the balance. Serve as desired! You can also roast at around 200 degrees F, covered for 1-5 hours, then roast uncovered for 15-30 minutes for a low and slow method.
- To enjoy yours as featured, pull out the coleslaw, slice your buns, top with the vegan pulled pork, more sauce, coleslaw, any extra sauce on the top bun and serve! Watch how here!