- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil (I used Olive) or Vegetable Broth for oil-free
- 3 Tbsp. Flour of Choice (I chose Chick Pea Flour)
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Onions (I used white)
- 1 Lg Clove Minced Garlic (roasted is even better)
- S&P to taste
- 3 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 Cups Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil or broth in a medium pot over medium to low heat. Once heated, add the flour and whisk or stir constantly, heating for a couple minutes to create a roux.
- Stir in the onions, add a pinch of salt and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds. Adding a splash of vegetable broth if needed to avoid sticking.
- Slowly add the broth, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps. Bring to a slow simmer, stirring occasionally to avoid any sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, give it a stir, simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Feel free to cover, stirring occasionally.
- In a safe dish, blend with an immersion blender or cool slightly to blend (burping the side slightly to avoid explosions if too hot). Season with the juice of a lemon or lime, s&p to taste, adding any basil or vegan cream/milk if using. A final taste, adjust as needed. Serve hot!
Vegan Cream or Dairy Free Milk
Cayenne or Red Pepper Flakes
A Vegan Grilled Cheese or as desired!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT IN LESS THAN 4 MINUTES